Pages

Friday, April 23, 2010

INTERVIEW WITH Dafni "lacravatteduchien" ..very sweet girl CHECK IT !

INTERVIEW WITH Dafni "lacravatteduchien" ..very sweet girl CHECK IT !

I am very excited to introduce a long-running series of interviews with various Etsians, bloggers, and other folks I find interesting :) Today I’d like to introduce you to Dafni "lacravatteduchien" She is a sweet and very talent person who make handmade jewelry funky, colorful, funny, something that came out of a comic book

-Bio:
Hello, my name is Dafni and I'm 28 years old. I have studied graphic design and illustration. I have worked as a graphic designer for many years but lately I spent most of my time in my jewelry and my etsy shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/lacravatteduchien
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Where are you originally from?
I was born and and still live in Athens, Greece.

-How did you choose the lovely name for your Etsy Shop?
That's a funny story! When I first started handcrafting, I was mostly making belts and bags. I asked all my friends go give my old clothes that they didn't need any more in order to use the fabric. Among them were 2 very colorful neckties. So when I started looking for a name I wanted to use the word "cravatte" in it. I'm also a bit obsessed with these looooong dogs, dachshunds. So a combination of these two was the final name: La cravatte du chien.




-How did you find Etsy? How long have you been selling on Etsy?
I found out about etsy completely by accident, while a was looking around in DeviantArt and I saw that many people had a link to their etsy shop. I opened mine in 2007, but I actually start work on it about 2 years ago.

-How would you describe your style? Have any other artists etc influenced your style?
I could call it ... hmmm... funky, colorful, funny, something that came out of a comic book. As an illustrator and a comic lover I have tons of comic books in my house. And I think that they have influenced me a lot.

- How did you first come to art and creativity? How did your journey in art and creativity begin?
I was always a creative person. Ever since I remember my self I wanted to work with something that has to do with art. I grow up with both parents been artist so I guess it was obvious to me that I will take the same road.





-How long have you been creating? What is it about the female form that you love so much?
Ha ha ha! Are you talking about my fairies? Well I don't know what is it about them. I like things that jump out of my fantasy "room". Things that when we where all kids thought they really existed but growing up we learn to forget about and hid them in the back of our heads. I've been working with plexiglass for about 6 months now.

-What are your main sources of inspiration?
As I said before everything that jumps out of my fantasy "room", and also everything that I'd love to see around me but I don't.... Guess what that is? Nature! You don't see a lot of it in a city like Athens...

-Have you had any mentors, or are you self taught?
I took some handmade jewelry lessons, so I learned how to work with metal and also all the tools you need to do that. Ending up with what I do now, I think it's a combination of illustration and jewelry.

-Do you sell more at one time of year than others?
Well I have to say that christmas and easter are the high seasons. Same thing for all stores, on line or not. People have an extra reason to buy at these times.

-What is one thing about your creative process that you think most people don't know?
It's not as easy as it looks. The one corner of my studio, where the cutting is done, is a mess full of plexiglass dust and leftover pieces. The other corner, where color comes in, is and has to be spotless! A tiny amount of dust coming from the window can stuck on the fresh color and destroy the item. And all that in a very small room where there is also my books, my computer and my bed! And one more important thing. My items are 100% hand made. It's not shrink plastic and it's not laser cut.





-How has life affected your art and art affected your life?
Art affects my life in all possible ways. How I see the world around me, what moves me, my believes... And the other way around. Depending on my mood and how my life is at any time, I'm more or less creative, I use happy or sad themes. But most of the time I have a smile in my face. What can I say? I like to have fun!

-Do you have a favorite item you have made?
I love all my kids but my favorite is the black sheep brooch!

-What is the best reaction you have gotten from one of your pieces?
Returning for more! :)





Illustrated Jewelry!



-Your message for all of us?
Very simple: Peace and love! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment