Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

My style is whimsical and colonial - Madeline Barkley interview


Designing jewelry is my passion. It lets me express my moods and feelings. Because I work from my heart I sometimes have as many as 5 or 6 pieces in the works in various stages. When I begin designing I will sometime pick out one special bead or stone and pull together beads or material that would go with that special stone or bead.
 -Bio artist: Madeline Jane Barkley
Sometimes the design or plan comes together quickly and sometime I have to let it sit so I can look at it until the design comes to me. If a piece doesn't come out the way I want I will not sell it until it meets my quality requirements.
Her Shop Name
Jewelry by Jane 29
scan0001-Where are you originally from?
I am originally from New Hampshire. I lived in California for 20 years but my mother got ill so we moved back to New Hampshire to care for her and her two sisters.
-How did you choose the lovely name for your Shop?
My aunt thought Madeline was a long name for a baby so she started calling me my middle name Jane, and it stuck. My family all call me Jane, but everywhere else I am Maddy. So I named my shop Jane to honor my inner me.
Do you sell your products in many places ? tell us some of them ?
I have three on line stores. http://www.etsy.com/shop/Jewelrybyjane29
http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/Jewelrybyjane29
http://www.needleshaystack.com/designers/Jewelry-by-Jane-29
I also have some of my item in a shop in Bristol N/H. called Blue Skies Natural Foods.
Besides that I also do local craft shows.
-How did you find the site who you sell and who it this (name) ? How long have you been selling on this site ?
Etsy is my best shop I found it in an article in the Lapidary Journal. Through osmosis I found the other two.
-How would you describe your style? Have any other artists etc influenced your style?
My style is a part whimsical and a part colonial. I really don't think any one person influenced my style. I make all my work with a lot of passion so it is from my inner heart.
- How did you first come to art and creativity? How did your journey in art and creativity begin?
While living in Ca. on a trip to Laughlin Nevada we came upon a rock and jewelry show and a lady that was teaching wire wrapping. I took the 10 minute class from her and from that minute on I was hooked. Since then I have developed my own wire wrapping style and taught myself beadweaving and other techniques. I always have loved design of all kind and when I was a young girl wanted to be a fashion designer but growing up in the boonies there just wasn't opportunities for that. I think jewelry design sort of fits into the fashion design industry!
-How long have you been creating?
I believe it has been about 10 years. First as a crafter for myself to wear, but I kept making and making and ran out of room so I decided to sell. And have been selling since.
-What is it that you love so much?
-What are your main sources of inspiration?
Because I work from my heart I sometimes have as many as 5 or 6 pieces in the works in various stages. When I begin designing I will sometime pick out one special bead or stone and pull together beads or material that would go with that special stone or bead. Sometimes the design or plan comes together quickly and sometime I have to let it sit so I can look at it until the design comes to me. If a piece doesn't come out the way I want I will not sell it until it meets my quality requirements.
-Have you had any mentors, or are you self taught?
Beside that 10 minute class I am totally self taught.
-Do you sell more at one time of year than others?
Traditionally I sell mostly at craft shows, but recently have been sell better on line also.
-What is one thing about your creative process that you think most people don't know?
The actual hours it takes to make items. from the conception in my head to the finished piece.
Have some tips and advices for new artisians ?
I guess if a new artisan is making to sell their work don't get upset if it doesn't sell at first just to try different avenues until you find one that fits your work.
-How has life affected your art and art affected your life?
Life tends to throw challenges at you. You can take the challenges two ways. Either to complain and cry about it and let it get you down or meet them head on and rise above them.
Life has always been difficult for me and last year especially difficult. early last year I was diagnosed with the big C word. At the time I was caregiver for my mother and made jewelry. I kept working through it. In July mother passed away. The day she died I had get blood work, the nest day I had chemo, the next day was mother's funeral, the following day was more treatment. Now that all of that has passed I feel I have more passion for life and everything I do, including designing Jewelry.
-Do you have a favorite item you have made?
How can I pick just one. I made them all thinking that if it doesn't sell I will take it for me to wear.
-What is the best reaction you have gotten from one of your pieces?
Mostly at shows people tend to say they love this or that. But at one particular show I had a cobalt blue beadweave necklace on sale and it was laying at the end of the table. The sun happened to be shining on it and it looked very brilliant. A little boy come over and his finger across it and left. He came back several more times and did the same.
Usually when I am at shows, and couple will walk through the show and look at things, then one of them would come back and purchase something. Usually the woman comes back, but sometime the man will and get something to give to wife.
-Your message for all of us?
Just smile and be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment